7-month-old August Dean Elliott died after given the wrong medication in a Utah hospital. Elliott passed away early Wednesday morning at St. Luke’s Magic Valley Medical Center. Hospital officials then announced the death on Friday.
It is still unclear what medication was administered to the infant and how the error occurred. Utah does not require reporting of child deaths to the state's Department of Health and Welfare. However, a federal law requires the reporting of such a death to the Joint Commission. Fortunately, St. Luke's Hospital did voluntarily report the incident to state authorities.
The incident is under investigation by local and state authorities.
Contact Peter Heed:
603-354-3000 or email@example.com